For information regarding the Graduate Program in Chemistry, please contact the Graduate Coordinator, Mrs. Barbara Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
Students seeking the Ph.D. in Chemistry apply to the Graduate School, not to the Chemistry Department nor to specific professors.
Requirements for the Chemistry Ph.D. include:
- Incoming graduate students will be required to take proficiency exams to help advisors plan a student’s first-year courses and teaching assignments.
- 72 semester hours of graduate credit in courses and research
- Satisfactory performance on a pre-thesis research proposal and defense
- Satisfactory performance on annual pre-thesis committee meetings
- Demonstration of teaching competence
- Satisfactory adherence to safety and compliance protocols and procedures
- Dissertation research and preparation of a dissertation
- Satisfactory performance on a final oral dissertation defense
The Ph.D. degree usually requires 5 years of study beyond the bachelor’s degree.
The Chemistry Department commits to funding our full-time graduate students for 5 years. Additional information about Financial Support available at Washington University may be found on the Graduate School’s website: http://graduateschool.wustl.edu/prospective_students/financial-information
Making the Move
Resources to help you with the move to St. Louis: