How to Apply
Students seeking the PhD in Chemistry apply to the Graduate School, not to the Department of Chemistry nor to specific professors.
- Our application system is completely online. For instructions or to begin your application process please go to https://www.applyweb.com/wustl/index.ftl.
- Letters of recommendation can be completed online by the recommender. Once you enter their email address they will receive instructions on how to leave their reviews. If they do not receive this email please contact Barbara Taylor.
- Please use our school code 6929 for sending your GRE and TOEFL examination scores to us.
Requirements for the Chemistry PhD include:
- Incoming graduate students will be required to take proficiency exams to help advisors plan a student’s first-year courses and teaching assignments.
- 72 semester hours of graduate credit in courses and research
- Satisfactory performance on a pre-thesis research proposal and defense
- Satisfactory performance on annual pre-thesis committee meetings
- Demonstration of teaching competence
- Satisfactory adherence to safety and compliance protocols and procedures
- Dissertation research and preparation of a dissertation
- Satisfactory performance on a final oral dissertation defense
- The PhD degree usually requires 5 years of study beyond the bachelor’s degree
The Chemistry Department commits to funding our full-time graduate students for 5 years. Additional information about Financial Support available at Washington University may be found on the Graduate School’s website.