- We will work from high tech drawings to sketches on scratch paper.
- We machine simple to complex parts from plastics like polycarbonate, delrin, and vespel to stainless, aluminum, titanium, and everything in between.
- We help design as well as fabricate.
- We weld everything from vacuum tight to structural iron
- We fabricate from sheet metal.
Instructions for Job Submission
All jobs requiring the services of the machine shop should be brought to supervisor Jim Linders, Cylatron-ground floor, or available by phone at 314-935-6559.
Normal priority for jobs is on first-come, first-served basis. However, the shop will make an effort to fit short jobs in as quickly as possible. If you prefer a specific person to do a given job, due to previous experience or other reasons, please indicate this on the request form. Complaints about procedure, priority or work should be directed to Jim Linders only - not to any member of the shop staff. Any dissatisfaction with the allotment of departmental shop time should be discussed with the Chair of the Shop Committee.
- Job sheets must be filled out for all machine shop jobs. They must include the name of the person who is initiating the job, the research advisor and/or person who is paying for the job, and a job name. If the job is a modification or addition to a preexisting item of equipment, please state the name of the equipment. Job sheets are available in the machine shop office.
- Construction of Equipment and Modifications (all non-rush jobs). Faculty members, research associates, or graduate students should bring such jobs to Jim Linders, the operations director, in order to discuss the job, to obtain advice or clarification and/or to request execution of the job. Design help is also available from Jim Linders. (Jim's phone number is 5-6559.) Jobs may also be designed a priority level, depending on the current level of shop activity.
- Out of the Shop Construction or Repairs (non-rush). Persons with such jobs should bring them to Jim Linders.
- Emergency Jobs of Any Kind. Such jobs should be brought to Jim Linders. Jim will assign the appropriate person to the job.
The fee for services provided is $55/hr for commercial use, $52/hr for University and government-funded research. There is a subsidy for members of the chemistry department, which is set by the Shop Committee.