person working with petri dishes

Taking Chemistry Courses at Another Institution

Taking Chemistry Courses Elsewhere

Students earning a Chemistry Major/Minor or a Chemistry with Biochemistry Focus Major/Minor are required to take all chemistry coursework at Washington University in St. Louis. These courses should be taken during the regular academic year if at all possible.

Students earning other majors may satisfy Introductory General Chemistry (Chem 105/106), General Chemistry Laboratory (Chem 151/Chem 152), or Organic Chemistry with Laboratory (Chem 261/Chem 262) at Washington University by taking comparable chemistry courses at another institution. Transfer credit for Chem 111A/112A will not be granted.

Course Credit Request Procedure

  1. Identify a school that teaches the chemistry course you’re interested in transferring. If several courses are available, choose one required for chemistry or science majors.  Four-year colleges or universities that offer an American Chemical Society-approved chemistry degree, operate on the semester system, and have a graduate research program (master’s or PhD) typically offer an appropriate chemistry class for transfer to WU. Community college courses will not be approved for chemistry credit transfer requests.
  2. Obtain syllabi that contain a detailed list of the topics covered for the courses you’re interested in taking.
  3. Complete the “Approval for Non-WU Course Credit” form.
  4. Send this completed form and the associated syllabi to DR. RACHEL DUNN (RACHEL.DUNN@WUSTL.EDU) or bring to her office (519 McMillen Laboratory).

After reviewing, Dr. Dunn will contact you by email to let you know whether or not the course is comparable to one offered at Washington University.  If the course is appropriate, Dr. Dunn will sign the form and submit it to the College Office on your behalf.

Once you’ve completed the course, you must send an official transcript to the College Office (Campus Box 1117) to certify that you have successfully completed the course. The course equivalence will appear on your WU transcript, but the grade will not. The grade will not be used in your WU GPA calculation.

You should obtain confirmation of course equivalence from the Chemistry Department prior to enrolling in a course at another institution. To ensure you have course approval prior to summer school registration periods, your request should be submitted to Dr. Dunn by the end of March. Approval may be granted after you have already taken the course, but there is no guarantee that you will receive the transfer credits unless you have the course approved ahead of time.

If you have questions about receiving transfer credit for introductory chemistry taken at another institution, contact Dr. Dunn by email or phone (314-935-6521).